Saturday, January 7, 2012

Presents or Presence?

There is someone in my life who thinks that big presents are good. They are. Especially if they are desired by the one on the receiving end, but...

What if the one on the receiving end desires something intangible even more than the tangible?

What if the one on the receiving end desires particular character qualities?

What if the one on the receiving end desires time?

Perhaps the one on the receiving end will ultimately be disappointed?

I suppose they would be if they received a tangible gift instead of what they truly desired.

I value qualities like commitment, honesty, integrity, transparency in a relationship. I willingly interact with people who exhibit these traits even if I disagree with them on serious issues.

Perceived lack of these qualities severely inhibits my willingness to interact with a person on any but the most superficial level.

I wonder...in several different places in the Bible God expresses His desire for time and character from His children rather than a tangible sacrifice or offering. Do you suppose He is disappointed?

Disappointment comes from unmet expectations.

He knows everything, being omniscient, so, His expectation can't be off.

No, I don't think He's disappointed when He doesn't get what He desires most, I think maybe He's sad.

Is it wrong for Him to expect time and character? He is, after all, the One who created us.

Then maybe He feels angry when His expectation isn't met?

I'm glad He reveals in His Word that He is 'slow to anger and abounding in love.'

I'm comforted to know He says 'My grace is sufficient for you'...

Lord God, I come boldly before Your throne of grace, to receive the mercy and find the grace I need for this day, and this circumstance, and this troubled relationship. Where would I be without You?

No comments: